For some reason Apple and App developers, one or the other or both, decided to dump a tonne of software data files and folders into what should be your nicely organised, personal documents folder. If you like to be organised like me this probably annoys you some. I mean, how are we supposed to easily find our own personal folders amongst all this unnecessary clutter.
To solve this I have abandoned the Documents folder all together. Here is my solution…
- Create a new folder the same level as Documents. Call it what you want, mine is called My Documents.
- Move all your personal folders into it
- Hide the Documents folder (see below for command)
- Remove the Documents folder from the sidebar
- Add your new documents folder to the sidebar
Yo can even copy the main Documents folder icon to use on your own folder (but not the sidebar icon).
To hide a file or folder there are a few low cost apps available but I like to keep it simple and use he command line:-
/Developer/Tools/setfile -a V Documents